Beet Soup! So full of flavours, this sweet and brothy beet soup is simple to make and simply delicious. A refreshing soup you will simply have to make and keep coming back for multiple bowls full. I am not generally a soup fan, so therefore when I discovered this soup from my next door neighbour Terry, I simply had to share this quick and easy healthy lunch or appetizer.
FROM TOPS TO BOTTOMS BEET SOUP
I have used purple beets, golden beets and even chioggia red and white beets for this recipe. This broth is full of nutrients, the beets are full of iron and the lemon in the recipe aids in the absorption of the iron into the body.
- 1 onion peeled and chopped fine
- 1 apple peeled and chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or sunflower oil
- 6 – 8 beets peeled and chopped fine in food processor
- 1 carrot peeled and sliced
- 1 container low sodium vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- All the beet tops and stems from the above beets
- Juice from 1/2 lemon.
In soup pot gently sauté onion and apple in the oil until onions start to soften. Add beets, carrots, stock and water. Bring soup to a boil and let simmer for 30 minutes. Add the beet tops and stems and simmer for another 15 to 20 minutes. Add lemon juice and serve.
Some folks add a dollop of greek yogurt to the soup for a dollop of protein
This is so good, I can’t get enough of it! L.L