This dish is perfect for company, potluck, or served with your favourite Sunday night Roast.
- 4 large potatoes
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces and softened
- 2 scallions or 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
Transfer cooked potatoes and sweet potatoes to separate bowls and mash with a fork or masher until almost smooth. Add the sour cream and butter to the potato bowl and mash. Stir in the scallions, 1/2 cup cheese, 1 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste. Gently fold in the mashed sweet potato, causing a marbled effect. Transfer to a casserole dish.
Bake uncovered in the oven at 375 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes.
*I like to make this ahead of time and freeze the casserole for those times when the time comes. Do not bake. Cover well with plastic wrap and freeze. When ready, allow casserole to thaw and proceed with baking instructions.