Here is an extremely healthy and nutritious muffin recipe I came upon from an old friend. This is rich in omega fatty acids and high in fibre, not to mention tasty. I adjusted the original recipe to make this one wheat-free. Make sure to use hemp seeds that still have their outer hull on, as they add a special crunch to your muffin. If you are not concerned about using wheat, go ahead and substitute wheat flour and wheat bran for the spelt, and regular oats can also be used instead of the spelt flakes.
HEMP SEED SPELT BRAN MUFFINS
- measure 2 cups spelt flakes into a large bowl
- pour 2 cups boiling water over flakes and allow to soak for 20 minutes while you prepare the muffins
In a huge bowl, mix together:
- 1 to 3/4 cups extra light Olive Oil
- 2 T molasses
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 eggs
mix well, and add:
- 1 cup spelt bran
- 3/4 cup flax meal (freshly ground)
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds (with husk on)
- 2 cups white spelt flour (medium/fine grind)
- 2 t baking soda
- 1 t salt
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1 t ginger
Mix in the spelt flakes. Stir well
Put in muffin tins and bake 350 degrees 12 to 15 minutes.
This can be put in a loaf pan and baked as well, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Fruit like raisins, chopped dates or apricots can be added for extra flavour. You can find the hemp seeds at a bulk food store like the Bulk Barn. I found some at the one in South London.