This is a fine example of the “less is more” approach to cooking vegetables – simple, good-quality ingredients cooked to perfection. Use waxy potatoes that will hold their shape during cooking and the biggest bell peppers you can find.
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, halved, seeded and thickly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, halved, seeded and thickly sliced
- 1 1/4 lbs potatoes, thinly sliced
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 small bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
Heat the oil in a large, lidded skillet/frying pan. Add the red and yellow bell peppers and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until starting to turn golden brown. Ad the potatoes to the pan, season with salt and pepper, cover with the lid, and cook for 5 minutes.
Remove the lid and continue cooking for a further 15 minutes, turning every few minutes as the potatoes begin to brown, taking care not to bread them. If the potatoes start to stick, this will just add to the flavor of the dish, but don’t let them burn.
When the potatoes are tender, transfer to a serving dish and top with the parsley, if using. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 6 potatoes, sliced
- 2 large red bell peppers, sliced into rings
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Fry the potatoes for 5 minutes, then add the peppers and onions. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for at least 15 minutes, turning potatoes frequently, or until potatoes start to look mushy.
- 1 1/2 lb. tiny new potatoes
- 1 onion 1 bell pepper (red, yellow, purple or orange)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, fresh, chopped salt & freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Wash potatoes. Halve or quarter larger potatoes. Cut onion into eight pieces. Cut peppers into one-inch pieces. Combine oil and seasonings in a plastic bag. Add vegetables and shake to coat with seasonings. Place in shallow dish and bake uncovered in the oven, until potatoes are tender, about 40-45 minutes, stirring once.